The Institute has the following objectives:
- To promote interest in technical aspects of healthcare engineering to improve the quality of care experienced by patients of healthcare providers.
- To pool technical knowledge and experience and to disseminate this knowledge to others in the industry to improve healthcare in New Zealand
- To encourage, assist and educate members to improve their skills and qualifications.
- To participate in the development and promotion of quality and safety standards in all aspects of healthcare engineering.
- To promote management skills applicable in healthcare engineering management.